Welcome to North Wiltshire RoADAR
In most walks of life, training, and re-training, are a common occurrence. Driving is one area where most of us don’t get that extra training. The Driving Test is passed, the freedom of the road is gained, and … that’s it! The rest of our driving lives are spent learning by experience. Bearing in mind that we are in control of a potentially lethal piece of machinery, is this a good idea? Obviously not.
Think about when you last had any further training or coaching in your driving or riding. If someone else is driving you, do you think to yourself “I’m a better driver than him or her”? What do others think about you?
Join the North Wiltshire RoSPA Advanced Drivers And Riders and discover how to get more out of your driving or riding.
As a driver or motorcyclist you may have concerns about your safety on the roads today. You may want to make motoring more interesting and absorbing by developing your personal skills. You may despair at the standard of driving and riding that you see on the roads every day and wish to play some part in promoting safer behaviour. Whatever the reason, it is possible that joining our local group could help resolve your problem and also give you the chance to help others in the same situation.
RoADAR is a national organisation which is a registered charity with more than 7000 members and 50 local groups. The North Wilts Group currently has around 130 members. We welcome car drivers and motorcyclists of all standards. Join us! You will receive coaching on an informal and friendly basis tailored to your individual needs. The coaching will be provided by a volunteer tutor. All our tutors are regularly tested by examiners qualified to Police Class 1 standard. When your tutor feels you are ready there is the opportunity to take the RoADAR Advanced Test. The test results are graded as Bronze, Silver or Gold.
What is advanced driving or motorcycling?
- Always in the right part of the road, travelling at the right speed and in the right gear, never making unnecessary jerky moves or changes of direction.
- Able to approach and negotiate hazards safely leaving nothing to chance
The North Wilts Group teaches a flexible and intelligent approach to driving or riding, based on the police driver training manuals, Roadcraft or Motorcycle Roadcraft
For an joining fee of £25 (£19 if you are under 21), you can join North Wilts Group as an Associate Member (renewals are £14 per annum thereafter).
The fee includes an copy of Roadcraft – the Police Driving Manual for car drivers, and Motorcycle Roadcraft for motorcycle members. It also covers the cost of administration, hiring venues and organising presentations and social events.
We welcome members from North Wiltshire, for a map of our coverage, please click here. If you live outside this area, you will still be welcome as a member, but you may have to travel further to meet your tutor, for drives / rides.
For an application form: – click here
Perhaps you’d like an assessment first? click here
What Happens Next?
- On receipt of the application you will be forwarded a receipt and a membership card.
- Within four weeks you should receive a telephone call from your allocated tutor who will arrange to meet you at a mutually convenient location to begin your preparation. Please note that there are times when demand for tuition is high and there may be longer delays.
- If you are a car driver the tutor will accompany you in your own vehicle. If you are a motorcyclist the tutor will follow you on his motorcycle.
- All tutors give their time free of charge but motorcyclists are asked to donate £10 per session to help with petrol and maintenance costs.
- To make good progress you will have to commit to attending sessions at regular intervals and practise techniques yourself in between sessions.
- The teaching is based on “Roadcraft”, the police driver’s handbook, or “Motorcycle Roadcraft”, the police rider’s handbook. Your tutor will guide you through the Roadcraft system and prepare you for the advanced test. Generally you will receive around 8 sessions with your tutor.
- Book your Advanced Test through the North Wilts Group. Currently the test fee is £48 for drivers and £54 for riders. The test will be conducted by an examiner appointed by RoSPA.
- When you have passed your test you will be invited to join the National organisation as a full member. The national membership fee is currently £22.50 per year which includes the cost of an advanced re-test every three years. Regular Re-Tests and attending meetings help to maintain the quality and high standards of the member’s Driving or Riding ability and therefore enhance Road Safety
For further information on joining the Group, please contact the secretary:
Monica Graham: – email: firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: 01367 242377
We also organise regular social events, presentations, courses (e.g. first aid and skid control) rideouts and motorbike trips abroad. For further details on any club activities please contact the chairman:
Nick Carrington: – email: email@example.com Tel : 01793 636630
We offer advanced driver and rider training in the area shown by our coverage map, which includes:
Swindon, Calne, Chippenham, Corsham, Hullavington, Marlborough, Devizes, Faringdon, Lechlade, Highworth, Wootton Bassett, Malmesbury, Cirencester, Fairford and as far South as Salisbury. If you live outside this area, we may still be able to accommodate you, but you may have to travel to meet your tutor.